Saturday, July 19, 2008

final thoughts...grant


GRANT & JEN

These past few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions.  We have spent time planning for my Dad’s Celebration Service which has helped to keep us busy, and has been great for my Mom to keep her mind busy too.  We have spent a lot of time reminiscing of the great times we have had with Dad.  The things we would tease him about only because we loved him.  The funny things he’d do. And the great times shared.  We all definitely miss Dad being around and we have to take each day as they come, one day at a time.  My Dad is in a great place now- able to be with his parents who were also called Home by God at an early age.   The experience we all observed in my Dad’s last evening on earth can be described as truly orchestrated by God. As we watched my Dad truly fight internally with not wanting to leave his family here and knowing he was being called Home, all we could do was let him know and assure him of is that we would be okay and He and God would be able to watch over us from Heaven.  He “fought the good fight” to use some of his words from that evening.

 

I had a great conversation with my Dad on the day of my birthday.  He told me of his deep connection with water.  Water for my Dad was soothing for his soul. Hearing running water, be it a stream, river or fountain, even just seeing water was so calming for my Dad and helped for him to relax.  Whenever my brothers and I face hard times, he told us to find some water and he’d meet us there.  I am sure when we go to Lake Havasu later this summer, it will be hard for one not seeing him on his boat next to us, but we will know he is with us as we are on the water.  He also expressed his desire for me to “MC” his Celebration Service that same day.  It wasn’t the easiest thing for me to do, but we got through it.   

 

Another great conversations had with my Dad on that Sunday before his passing, included Jen and I showing him some of the houses we have been looking at and putting offers on.  He was so excited for us.  And before we had to leave for a couple hours that night to look at a place in Foothill Ranch, my Dad told Jen, “This will be the one”.  Little did Jen and I know that day, was that my Dad and God had a little conversation in his last hours; you see, Jen and I are almost half way through escrow on that place that God/my Dad said would be the one.  And the cool thing is, it has a water feature in the front courtyard!

 

Thanks for your time and compassion for my Dad.

 

In His Grip- Grant

aka- “Brent Jr.”

No comments: