Tuesday, April 19, 2011

day 1 of interim maintenance...

I know it's been awhile... let me catch you up.

My counts were not high enough to start this leg of treatment last week, so I spent the week feeling tired, yet able to do things that made me feel normal. I hung out with some good friends, watched while my buddy's worked on their car, played some pool and watched a few movies. And then came TODAY!

My day started at 10:30 at COH in the regular blood draw lab because the problem I have been having with my pic line ended up just as mom had predicted and was doing everything from flapping her arms to standing on her head to get them to take notice. On Friday, it had to be removed because of a rash that is a fungal infection on my arm and they were afraid that it would get into my arm and that wouldn't be good. So they had to pull the line and order cream for the rash.  So today I had to get my blood drawn like everyone else.

After that I went to see my doctor and my blood levels were high enough so I had the Bone Marrow biopsy that is needed at this stage. After that I went to admitting and was taken to my room on the 3rd floor. 

At about 2pm the pic nurse came in to put a new pic line in my right arm, that went very smooth and now I was ready to start the 6 hours of hydration before the chemo.

Right after that procedure the CHARGE nurse comes in to tell us that we are being moved to another floor because they needed my bed. This was about an hour prior to another IT chemo procedure. REALLY? Then right behind her came the nurse to tell the Charge nurse that Dr. S wants him to stay in this room until after the IT chemo, so I was given my premeds and began the wait prior to the chemo wondering if mom really did find the solution so I would avoid getting sick. 

After the 30 minutes plus had passed the Dr came in and started prepping for the procedure and by then I was so pre-medicated I couldn't stay awake, it concerned the Dr because at times I was even snoring. Ü So, I am happy to report that I slept through and didn't have any sickness. God news! in fact they came to get me in a wheel chair and moved me to my new room on the 4th floor and I climbed into that bed and slept until 7:30 when my mom woke me up to eat dinner. Then back to sleep and waking up only to have the nurses take vitals.

So at 11pm, I was pre-medicated again and my 24 hour IV chemo therapy (high dose Methotrexate) started. I will be drifting off to sleep watching "Dinner with the Schmuck's". And just like that last time I was in-PATIENT, my output has to be measured and tested to make sure that my kidneys are functioning and this chemo flushes through without causing further problems. I will be here for 3 or 4  days for hydration and lots of labs to make sure that this moves through my system.

This treatment is the same treatment, every other week for 8 weeks. Yippppeeee! 
So, that's it. 10+ needle sticks, 4 different procedures and lots of sleepytime medication. 

4 less procedures & Good Night!

oopps, here are my numbers for today...

WBC: 2.2
RBC: 3.7
ANC: .8
Hemoglobin: 12
Platelets: 124

4 comments:

Grant said...

Fight the good fight. Love you brother.

Robert said...

Hello Tyler, this is Robert from New Hope. I hope you will feel better soon, keep up the good work! What'd you think of Dinner for Schmucks? That dinner scene at the end had me cracking up!! Take care,
Robert

Alyson said...

Tyler,
Continuing to pray for strength. You are one amazing young man! :) One week is better than 30 days, huh? Take care of you!!!!! Sending you lots and lots of hugs. When your levels are good, I am coming to torment you! xoxo

Linda and Michelle said...

Hi Tyler, the Wallaces are praying for you. I'm following through my blog that I do with my friend Michelle (in case you're wondering where Craig is in my picture!)
Hang in there,
Linda Wallace