Wednesday, February 9, 2011

consolidation off to a rough start...

since the last update...
on Tuesday I started on a very unexpected path. Since the study that I am on requires me to have the chemo given into the spinal fluid and radiology was very unsuccessful at getting it in through the lumbar puncture, we had to move to plan B? Plan B is to have a Ommaya Reservoir put in, this will allow the medication to be injected into this reservoir/port and then it will travel down into my spine. This is a surgical procedure and I had 6 different appointments from 11a to 5p in order to be on the fast track to getting this port which is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Then at 5p I had my 2nd round of chemo of the 4 for the week. Long, Long day!

Today, I arrived at 8:45 and was taken into surgery by 9:30 and all went well. I am spending the night for observation and will be on my way home by tomorrow around 5ish just after my last round of chemo for the week and will rest for Friday-Sunday. Then be back here on Monday to do the same chemo schedule next week. The God news is that I will not have to go to radiology or have a puncture or have to lay flat on my back for 2 hours. AMEN!

On Monday, that spinal medication will be given to me in the new port and then the other 2 medications will be given in through my pikk line and I wont have to spend the whole day here. Then as I told you before Tuesday-Thursday are short stays to get the same 2 medications in my pikk line. 

I am sure that I have totally confused most of you. The main update is that I now have improved my treatment path by getting this port and this port can stay in place for as long as it is needed. So, we may have gotten off to a rough start but it will definitely be worth it.

Still searching for a calendar solution to help you keep up with me on this journey.

thanks for checking in...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyler, It's Tami Case. If you guys are still here at 5 p.m. on Thursday evening (tonight), please stop by the Peds Family Room on the 3rd floor as Panda Express is bringing dinner to our inpatients. We'd love for you guys to join us. You can just grab and go, or you can sit a bit in the family lounge. The beef broccoli and orange chicken are worth the stop...hope all is going well for you today.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the up date... surgery probably wasn't the best news but sounds like it will be the best solution for meds going forward. This is great... Praying daily! May God continue to give you peace, comfort and strength as you focus on Him and your healing! Much love (even though you don't really 'know' me...) and BIG Hugs.. Lisa and fam