Saturday, June 28, 2008

a bend in this journey...

Yesterday was a day that I knew was coming but I didn't think it would come quite so quickly. I could not find enough strength to get out of bed. My energy and strength have weakened me to resign to staying in bed praying my strength will return.  Don't get me wrong, it is much more comfortable, I have an extra, super duper mattress pad, the best of the best in sheets thanks to my personal shopper (my sister) and I am very comfortable. I still remain pain free and yet have some challenges with appetite and am tremendously hot. Between having a wet sheet with the fan blowing on it and ice packs rotating from the freezer to my underarms and head and the thermostat set to sub zero, it all is very bearable. 

Throughout the day and late into the night, I spent time with my whole family. One, two, three and sometimes 4 at a time. I spent the time with each of them laughing, telling "remember when" stories and with a few tears. They all rotated in and out and I think the main reason was the sub zero temperature, they go downstairs just to thaw out. Jayne has now taken over my recliner which is right next to me. She is dressed in her comfy sweatshirt and pants and never complains. The hospital bed as allowed me such comfort and the ability to elevate my feet and for the first time in 2 months, I can officially say, "my cankels are gone!" My doctor has new medications to help me deal with a set of new issues and I have decided that staying on the oxygen makes resting so much easier. Unfortunately, having visitors at this point is a bit too much for me and I am not sure how many of you would want to see me in my BVD's. That is something I only share with my family and I am sure they aren't that thrilled with it. I do have to say that yesterday was still a great day despite the changes that are taking place. I look at this time as such a special gift and one that most are not given.

each day is a gift...
don't miss a minute of it...
spend it with those you love...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent,

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I will definitely take them and apply them to my life.

Your friendship has been a gift to me and I appreciate the time we spent visiting when you were in town. It has been an honor to have known you and to now have you as a member of our fire service family here Henderson. I am sure you touched many departments with your friendship and awesome customer service but you will forever be a part of the Henderson Fire Department.

God Bless You and Keep You.

Greg Larson

Anonymous said...

Jayne, I have just heard the news of Brent's passing to be with his Lord. I have been praying for his comfort and hopefully, his recovery. I continue to pray for you and your family. Your strong belief and strength in the Lord will support you through the next difficult days. I am available to help you in any way you might need. Blessings on you and yours, Mary T