Wednesday, June 25, 2008

help welcomed...

After our late night visit to COH, we realized that it was time to ask for more support. COH was able to arrange for in home palliative care. What this means is we will have a Register Nurse, Home Health Aid, Counselor and a Social Worker available to us 24/7.  It means that I will have a this team visit me 2 to 3 times a week. They pretty much bring the hospital to our home. 

They are the "go to" if we need anything, prescriptions, equipment, oxygen, etc.  This team is in direct contact with my doctor and will be able to support us along this journey. I can't put into words how much this means to both Jayne and I. It has lifted a huge weight of troubles off of our backs.  

I have already a chance to meet my nurse, the counselor and my caregiver and they are all wonderful people. God truly has provided exactly what we needed, just when we needed it most. (hey, isn't there a hymn about that?) 

The last 2 nights sleeping in a bed and having the oxygen  has improved the quality of my sleep and given me some freedom to move around unlike sleeping in a fixed position in the recliner and the oxygen has really helped with my breathing.  Having this extra support is truly a gift.

until next time...

No comments: