Sunday, June 22, 2008

Celebrating Grant's 27th b'day...

well, 27 years ago today, my oldest son was born. 27 years ago today, was the day I took on the greatest gift in life and the greatest calling. Fatherhood...

I remember how excited I was to be a dad. I really don't think my feet touched the ground for days...I floated everywhere. I was on cloud nine. I remember waves of unconditional love for this special little life. And today, though he is a grown man, as I stared into his eye, again I was filled with waves of overwhelming love this this son of mine. Often, over the last 27 years I've been reminded that Grant is a Brent Jr. So much of who he is, what is does, his mannerisms, his thought process indeed is just like me. 

Early on I use to dispute how much he was like me, I can't really tell you why...maybe because I thought I would be robbing him of his own identity? As I have grown and approached the situation with honesty, it is true and it is ok, Grant is my Junior. 

I have great memories with him and when he was just 2 1/2 years old he insisted on helping his dad wash the car. Back in those days I washed my car at home, by hand about twice a week. More than once I recall walking around to the side of the car that had been washed and rinsed, there he stood with the soapy rag and a smile on his face, washing it again. How could I get mad because he would look up at me with a great be smile and say "I help, daddy. I help" and you know what? As that that little boy has grown up and more times than I can count, he has always been willing to help his dad. 

Our visit today was quiet and not much said but there were one millions of feelings that were shared throughout the day.

Grant, I love you and am so proud of you!

happy birthday son...

1 comment:

Life of the Fletcher's said...

Thank You! I couldn't have asked for anything more!

I love You Dad!

- Grant aka "Brent Jr."