Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a sprinkling of HOPE...


Monday was a long day but it had a bit of hope sprinkled into it. We met with the oncology department and discussed my treatment options, we discussed my current health issues and also did some blood work. 

Treatment Options:
Infusion therapy: This would be weekly, through an IV, done at the COH and  would make for an exhausting day.
Medication: This treatment is a 4 week on and 2 weeks off, once a day medication that I would take in pill form. I would only been seen at COH after each cycle. This was the treatment plan that they feel is best and of course I was very pleased because it doesn't involve NEEDLES! I hate needles!
 
So for the researchers out there the drug is called Sutent.
It is a drug which puts the brakes on the growth of tumor-feeding blood vessels and deprives tumor cells of blood and nutrients needed for growth. The side effects are pretty much things that I am already dealing with, fatigue, nausea, shortness of breath, swelling of the feet and ankles and so on. I am feeling as though it "could" help and it definitely not hurt. We plan to give this the "old college try" as they say. 

Current Health Issues:
My pain in under control. Amen! I am still retaining fluid and still gaining about 1 pound a day. My appetite is poor, I can average about 1 small meal per day. I am still having trouble with waves of nausea and hot flashes, it seems to be connected to the drugs I am taking but it seems to pass as quickly as it comes. If I do ANY bending over it triggers vomiting and yes, I still have cankles. Jayne calls them my Fred Flintstone feet. Yaba daba dooooooo!

Today, I did make it into the office. I was able to meet with my staff and get back into the loop of managing the office. My plan is to get into the office on Mondays and then work from home the rest of the week. I am the type of guy that needs a schedule/routine and this last 46 days has been anything but. I am relieved that the next appointment is what dictates my day. I love the work I do and am looking forward to getting back at it. 


No comments: