Wednesday, January 19, 2011

the results are in...

the results from the bone marrow stain tests came back and my bone marrow shows 15% leukemia cells which is way down from the over 95% that I started with. The doctors where hoping to have 0% by now but because I have a marker that is a bit resistant to the chemo, we will definitely settle for the 15%. 

Tomorrow, day 22, I will have my last treatment for the induction period and then they will retest both the bone marrow and the spinal fluid on day 29 to see how it looks. I have to have less than 1 percent of leukemia cells at that time in order to go home or I will stay for the "extended induction" which is another 14 days. Which is a little bit different as far as the drugs that are used but it all is with the goal of getting below that 1%. 

I did get good news today though, I DON'T have to have more spinal fluid drawn tomorrow morning!!!! There was a mix up in the doctors instructions and I escaped the needle and laying flat for another week and they promise me that the chemo will be tomorrow night after 10pm. AMEN! that will mean that mom is one on watch while I sleep. 

I did get a little pampering yesterday, my beard was really bugging me so the hospital has a barber/stylist service that came to my room and I had my beard and hair trimmed. That was nice. The doctors are still telling me that this could be the week that I lose my hair, at least I'll look good until then. I don't know if I have said before, I am not able to use anything that could introduce bacteria or possibly cause a cut. So I have to brush my teeth with a foam sponge thingy with toothpaste and I can't use a razor. I have to use everything only once which includes toenail clippers and finger nail files also. Everything I eat is a one portion package and has to be hot if it's food and if it is a drink, I have to drink it within 1 hour. This is truly been a life changing event for every aspect of my life. But as my dad would say, "it is what it is".
thanks, City of Hope




Labs are staying the same. No blasts in the blood, only the 15% in the bone marrow. God News!

Spent the another day with my brother while mom did some stuff...thanks bro!
(1) Blue Monster (1) Beanie and a nap

Note: this picture was captured by the hospital security and is being posted without the written permission of the subject pictured,

I'm doing great thanks to all of your prayers and support. Thanks!

4 comments:

Alyson said...

Oh Tyler! What great news. God sure is great. Yeah God! You look marvelous by the way. :) Continuing to pray for you and the fam. I love all of you so very much! I can't believe it will be day 22 already. Praying that the next round goes well. xoxo

River said...

Hi Tiny Pants! Good to hear things are going well, and that you got to see some visitors. Hopefully by the 29th it'll be below 1% and everything else will be good enough for you to get out of there and see more than just a hospital for a change. I'm glad you're keeping such a positive attitude through all of this. Keep it up!

kristen burns said...

Thinking about you today! Glad you got some good news! praying you wont have to stay an additional 14 days! keep your chin up! :)

Aunt Lynette said...

Could you be any cuter? I don't think so! We're proud of you and pray for you!!! We love you! UP & AL